Thursday, July 21, 2005

Okay - so much for being timely. As opposed to talking about the Rove leak or the Supreme Court nomination, I think I'm going to really flaunt my timeliness by revisiting some very old news.

John Stewart has really been getting on my nerves lately. He's gotten so sanctimonious and self-satisfied that I have a hard time watching him. He has become the kind of person he used to hate - preachy and arrogant.

I think it all really came to a head with his appearance on CNN's crossfire. You've probably heard about it by now... he went on there and hammered Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala about how the show isn't helpful. He was particularly harsh toward Carlson calling him "a dick". Granted Carlson was being a jackass, but quite honestly, I don't really blame him - I mean this is his (and the other hosts') show, and Stewart comes on all holier than thou telling them they suck. I can just imagine how Stewart would react on his own show.

Then on top of it all Stewart is lauded by the press for taking a stand and putting crossfire in its place and ultimately driving its eventual cancellation. I happen to agree with Stewart that Crossfire and shows of its ilk were not doing anything to advance the public good, but the way he goes about it is really disgusting. Just take a look at the tape and tell me who the dick is in the whole scenario.

John, you really can't have it both ways. You can't take yourself so seriously and try to change the world and then deflect criticism by saying that you're just a comedy show. Go one way or the other with it. Take a stand, John - or is that just oversimplifying the matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home